<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Well, okay... since you asked... and since I'm up at 5:20 in the morning with not much else to do (Tali is teething-- did I tell you? She has a tooth! AND, she is working on another one! Hence the sleepless nights...) I will post my recipe for layered dinner! I apologize- I'm sure it's taken from some recipe book somewhere & I am totally posting it without permission-- but I have it copied into my own recipe file without any notes on where it might be from, and am also including my usual modifications.

So anyway...

Layered Dinner (or as Mikki would say "7 Layer Dinner")

4 potatoes, sliced
2 parsnips, sliced (parsnips are a totally underrated vegetable, IMO)
1 large onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 C corn, frozen or fresh (I left this out for Passover)
1 C green peas, frozen or fresh (I left these out too)
Optional: mushrooms, broccoli, green beans etc (I used mushrooms & green beans)

Sauce:
3 C tomato sauce
1/4 C tamari or soy sauce or Bragg's (you could use STRONG veg. broth for Passover modification here)
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp basil
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp sage
2 TBS parsley flakes

Layer vegetables in a casserole in given order. Mix ingredients of sauce. Pour over veggies. Bake covered in 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours. (Can also do in crockpot-- takes about 8 hours on low)

That's it. Easy, right? I usually serve with rice mixed with parsley & green onion... but it was really good with the quinoa, and I may make it that way from now on.

Hey-- if you like cooking (or eating), and want to read a fun blog, go see my friend Dan at Casual Kitchen. He's pretty freaking funny, in a Wall Street sort of way.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?